Professionally, Steve got his start in 1984 as a foreign policy advocate with the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), where from 1986-1991 he served as one of the organization’s five registered lobbyists. In 1991, he signed on to serve as Legislative Director for two Members of Congress. On Capitol Hill, he specialized in foreign policy, national security and trade, as well as directing legislative and political strategy.
In 1993, Steve was appointed Special Assistant to the Director of Congressional Relations at the U.S. Office of Personnel Management. In 1996, he was named Deputy Executive Director and General Counsel of the National Jewish Democratic Council, where he focused on media relations, political strategy, grassroots organizing and operations management. In 1997, he opened his own law practice, focusing in employment law, trusts and estates, and legal issues facing small businesses.
Steve graduated with a B.A. in political science from the University of Maryland and received his juris doctor from the Catholic University of America. In 2013, following a rigorous academic and experiential program, Steve earned his Coaching Certificate from the Hudson Institute of Coaching.
- Senior executive with successful track record of hands-on, entrepreneurial leadership in change oriented, not-for-profit environments.
- 25 years experience in community and government relations, issue advocacy, policy development and political and communications strategy.
- 21 years experience as senior organizational leader and manager including directing operations and administration.
- 15 years demonstrated success as a chief executive officer in leading strategic planning and implementation, financial resource development, and working with boards of directors, stakeholders, media, elected officials and community leaders.
- Experienced leading change in a variety of environments; from start-up to mature, strategically adrift to strategically sound, from narrow to broad mission orientation, and from light board involvement to heavy board involvement.
- Certified Hudson executive coach skilled in building strong leadership teams, inspiring and leading complex organizations to craft and implement strategic visions, and motivating staff to perform at the highest ethical standards, in alignment with mission, financial capacities and meeting programmatic objectives.
- Served as chief communications and policy professional and attorney for $1 million national advocacy organization with the National Jewish Democratic Council. Authored and launched publicity campaign to expose candidates on relevant topics of interest to Jewish voters.
- As Legislative Director in the United State Congress, achieved major legislative coup by building unique coalition to successfully defeat funding for a program in the district of the chairman of House Appropriations Committee. Also established Congressional Working Group to secure loan guarantees to assist with Israel’s absorption of over one million Soviet Jews.
- Cultivated extensive personal contacts and built relationships with members of Congress, congressional staff, executive branch officials, interest groups and media as American Israel Public Affairs Director. Leading member of lobbying team that defeated arms sales proposals to states at war with Israel, and won passage of foreign assistance legislation containing extensive economic and security aid for Israel and humanitarian support for Jewish refugees.
AWARDS AND AFFILIATIONS
2013 Member, Governance Reform Committee, Jewish Federations of North America
2012, Co-Leader, Large-Intermediate Federation CEOs Leadership Institute
2012 Member, Global Planning Table Partnership Committee, Jewish Federations of North America
2009 Member, United Way of Rhode Island Community Nominating Committee
2008 Member, United Way of Rhode Island Community Advisory Board
2004 Spirit of Anne Frank Outstanding Citizenship Award, Anne Frank Foundation
2003 Anti-Racism Initiative of the Year, Minnesota Council of Non Profits
2003 President, Minnesota FoodShare
2002 FBI Director’s Award
2000 Minneapolis Jewish Federation Annual Campaign Agency Co-Leader
1999 Executive Committee, Minnesota Joint Religious Legislative Coalition
1999 Admitted to the Bar in Minnesota
1997 Admitted to the Bar in Maryland and the District of Columbia
1996 Columbus School of Law Moot Court Associate and Trial Team
1995 Columbus Community Legal Services, Columbus School of Law
1990 Candidate, Maryland General Assembly