One Stop For Non-Profit Legal Needs!
In the courtroom, legislature, general counsel’s office, boardroom or living room, Steve is at home with the law. A former CEO, general counsel, executive branch official, congressional legislative director and registered lobbyist, to Steve advocacy and public policy is second nature and a first language. And with over 20 years as a non-profit organization insider, Steve has an excellent understanding of and extensive personal experience with legal issues facing non-profit organizations. He has reorganized and restructured, hired, fired and laid off, merged, negotiated, resolved and contested where necessary. Steve is a problem solver who is as adept at thinking better inside the box as he is at thinking outside the box. Steve goes beyond the law; providing practical and accessible guidance to navigate the routine, the complex and everything in between.
Above all, Steve is passionate about providing the highest quality of legal services and personal attention to best serve the needs of his clients, and most importantly, delivering legal representation that protects and enhances a non-profit organization’s capacity to pursue its mission.
Steve provides skilled and experienced counsel and representation on:
- Non-profit formation, structure and governance;
- Draft and file by-laws and amendments to corporate documents, governmental compliance;
- Navigate fair employee transitions and other sensitive employee issues;
- Employee manuals and board/professional relations;
- Volunteer management, social media, confidentiality, intellectual property and technology policies;
- Philanthropic gifts;
- Statutes and regulations pertaining to advocacy and political engagement.
Bar admissions: Minnesota 1999; District of Columbia 1997; Maryland 1997